September 11, 2001 - The worst terrorist attack in history
The twin towers of the
At 8:45 a.m., American Airlines Flight II Boeing 767, going from
About 18 minutes later, however, the same kind of plane, also in route
At 10:05 a.m. the south tower collapsed and 20 minutes later, the north tower came down too.
New York city had the worst day of its history and the New Yorkers had the saddest and most painful sight in their lives - people crying for help, others yelling, others jumping out of the windows, many trying to get out, but most of them getting trapped by the fire and dying.
In the meantime, not far from
Yet, another Boeing 757, with 38 passengers and seven crew members crashed near Pittsburgh, before it could reach its target - Camp David, where in September of 1978, Jimmy Carter, President of the USA then, met Muhammad Anwar Al Sadat, President of the Arab Republic of Egypt, and Menachen Begin, Prime Minister of Israel, to sign a peace agreement for the Middle East.
The planes, hijacked by merciless terrorists, were used to kill thousands of innocent people and to try to destroy the most significant American symbols of financial, military and political power.
One of the richest and most feared terrorists in the world had declared
3 weeks before that he was preparing "the most daring" and "most striking" attack one has ever seen, to protest against the
support given by the Americans to
Whoever did that will never have enough reasons to justify such hideous deed.
What else can we say! The pieces of dead bodies and their smell coming from under the debris lead us to conclude that pride, fanaticism of any kind, revenge, anger, thirst for power and hate, are the worst, most destructive, most harmful, most unfair and most cruel feelings which can inhabit the human heart.
01. How does the text describe this terrorist attack? _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
02. How many and what were the targets?
03. Concerning the New Yorkers, How does the text describe this day?
04. Concerning the people that were inside the
05. Concerning the text, what is the Pentagon?
06. Besides the WTC and the Pentagon was there another target? Explain?
07. What was the purpose of this attack?
08. Concerning the text, one of the richest and most feared terrorists in the world had declared 3 weeks before that he was preparing this attack. How did he define this attack?
09. How high were the twin towers concerning to the text?_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________